Saturday, September 12, 2009

Beauty of meru

The wild heart of the Meru has not stopped beating. Despite the storey building sophistication of Meru town and luxury safaris that include dinners of Nyam chom, the romance of adventure still exists in Meru, From time to time, I suppose most of us dream about doing something different. The city dweller wants to live in the country and vice versa, while those who have a safe, comfortable life must surely have occasional dreams about putting it all on the line for the sake of a bit of adventure? Dreams are part of the human condition and keep many of us going when life gets tasteless.
I have been incredibly fortunate in having enjoyed a life full of incident and interest. I was brought up in the bush which gave me a chance to wander alone and dream about being a hunter, adventurer or explorer when I grew up. I am not married and am not young but am enjoying life fully, now that am in the city I can cook my dinner without facing the wrath and beating from my fellow country men who still believe that cooking is and must be done by women. But be assured am reminded about it every day, even by some of my friends who are not yet married. I enjoyed the adventure of growing up in meru .It was when I completed college that I found myself needing an outlet for that somewhat masochistically adventurous streak in my soul.
I don't think I was consciously looking for danger when I first challenged Lake Nkunga in my dinghy, Hobo but I wanted to do something different, I wanted to challenge myself both physically and mentally and I wanted to do something that nobody else had ever done. I suppose I could have walked to one of the Poles or dome something world shattering, but in truth, I had no money so had to do something at home that wouldn't cost me anything. I didn't want publicity. I didn't want my name up in lights. It was just something I had to do for myself. Huh! I was lost in my mind and imagined rowing the lake in both directions - I must have covered well over a thousand kilometers - I had never rowed a boat in my life. I only did it once - then a little boy – when we had taken a trip in Nairobi at Uhuru Park but we set out and we went merrily round in circles!
Precisely that’s when I started thinking about the very many scenarios that we have, the scenic beauty in Meru is legendary but some sights truly stand out and are worth a trip in themselves. These include:
 The stunning mutonga, kathiita and maara falls. The spray is so impressive from the look-out points; it feels like you are in the middle of a torrential rainstorm. These Falls are one of the Natural Wonders and something you just have to experience.
 For greenery you shouldn't miss the rainforests which are home to the last remaining Mountain elephants.
 Personally I love the desert and there are some particularly spectacular dunes in isiolo
 King muuru (the largest meru oak) was not as well known internationally but is second to the none. You can take a five-day hike in season that will leave you tired but elated. Luckily a spa greets you at the end of the walk.
 There are many spectacular mountain ranges Africa but the most famous mountain in Mount Kenya Rising 17,057 feet out of the savannah with a permanent snow-capped peak; it's worth a trip even if you don't plan to climb it. you can visit the following website for more african wonders http://www.pbs.org/wonders/fr_wn.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment